Freespace and alike games ?

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Freespace and alike games ?

Postby Mormoran » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:55 pm

Hey guys, thought you might be able to help me better than pretty much any other forum out there, because Misc is cool like that.

A couple days ago I put together a computer for my uncle, after showing him Black Prophecy. He was mesmerized by the graphics and the way the game plays, though I told him that the game was crap, it only looked good but it was as shallow as Charlie Sheen.

He gave me enough money to put together a computer powerful enough for him, so he could play games like Black Prophecy and such. Thing is, besides that one, I've pretty much not played other games of the genre. I dabbled in X3:TC for like 5 hours, but it was too complicated for my (personal) taste.

Keeping in mind his two favorite games ever are Tie Fighter and one of the first Wing Commander games, I thought I'd ask for your help.

I hear (though I have never played) that Freespace is quite good, and it went open source so a ton of mods and graphic updates are out there, but I wouldn't know what to get.

Also I know you can mod X3 to be easier and mod streamlined, so I think if some of the more knowledgeable of you could point me to a couple "makes it easier" mods, he'd have a better time gettin into it.

I also know a new X3 game is coming out, so I'm keeping an eye out for that.

Also there's Naumachia, which looks damn fun and even I'm going to play it. Then there's Infinity which will be in production as long as it's name, so I'll guess I'll keep an eye on that one too. There's also that new mmo, Star Conflict, but as a lot of the others I've mentioned, it's not out yet.

So yeah, space sims that are out and are awesome, tell me them!
I'm a newb!

http://mormoran.blogspot.com/

I got a blog now!
Mormoran

Re: Freespace and alike games ?

Postby SpardaSon21 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:20 am

If he's a fan of space fighter sims, he should definitely play FreeSpace 2. This topic should contain everything he needs to get started with FreeSpace2 and all the latest graphical and engine updates. That forum is also the primary hoster for FreeSpace 2 mods, so browsing it should reveal a lot.
SpardaSon21

Postby amtie » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:53 am

Yeah, the first campaign you should install/play is the FS2-Open port of the FS1 campaign. If you haven't already.

Naumachia and Infinity both look awesome, although if you've seen the Infinity demo vid it's exhilarating.

There's Evochron (whatever the latest one is) and Independence War (planning to play it sometime soon).
amtie

Postby dakka'n'boom » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:32 am

Tarr Chronicles and Dark Horizon carries a bit FS style combat and biblical (i.e, relevation) atmosphere.

However its sequel is severely bugged into the level of complete unplayable.
dakka'n'boom

Postby TrashMan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:13 am

Freespace is awesome..AWESOME.

X3:TC is very good, altough it has a steep learning curve..partially because you can do so much stuff in it,
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!
TrashMan

Postby Blackswimmer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:35 pm

Yeah, X3 is great, and freelancer is good as well.
Doubler wrote:More than Easter itself, I celebrate the week after Easter as the Week of Discounted Chocolate :P

Azrael Ultima wrote:The correct solution to hammers not being the appropriate tool to screw in a screw is not to develop screwing hammers.
Blackswimmer

Postby bowtiefighter » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:51 am

Freespace would be awesome, if the last 20 minutes of EVERY mission wouldnt be me soloing and trying to get the objective. Fsopen does update graphics, but are there mods or anything that would help me in this issue? Harder difficulties make this problem even worse.
End of line.
bowtiefighter

Postby SpardaSon21 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:55 pm

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius and Blue Planet 2: War in Heaven both have improved wingman AI, so they don't die so much. I think the Wings of Dawn mod may have better AI, but not everyone likes it.

If you're looking for a straight-up mod that improves wingman AI while allowing you to play the retail missions, there's the Fury AI mod. A word of warning though: wingmen and AI enemies use similar AI logic, so improving one improves the other, and yes, the enemies in the campaign are assigned better AI than your wingmen. Also, Fury AI requires 3.6.14 RC1 found here.
SpardaSon21

Postby bowtiefighter » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:44 am

SpardaSon21 wrote: the enemies in the campaign are assigned better AI than your wingmen.

That's bullshit. Well not that much, but I'm totally tired doing solo runs anyway. Pass.
Thanks for the info though.
End of line.
bowtiefighter

Postby SpardaSon21 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:45 pm

I'm sorry if I implied that was part of the mod. That's actually part of the retail campaign, so blame Volition for it. The Blue Planet mods really do have improved wingman AI though, so no they don't die anywhere near as fast as in the main campaign.
SpardaSon21

Postby Stormin » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:46 am

Well, I found and interesting thread on another forum - you can find some good examples of the games similar to freespace there
Stormin

Postby Anguille » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:52 am

Apart from the beginning which might be a little too difficult for a beginner, Starpoint Gemini (Iceberg Interactive) is imho a good game for the casual gamer (plays on 2D)...it's a space sim with a long story but you can also play freely (trade, pirate). I am currentely playing it (4 hours into the story so far).

Darkstar One (available from GOG) might be good (i own it) too but i haven't had time to play it yet. Will probably as soon as i finish Starpoint Gemini.

Both games ain't expensive ;)
Last edited by Anguille on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admiral of the Red Fleet

The only Senior Male Tarka to ever reach this rank and an old Zuul slave...aiming for vengeance!
Anguille
Ante Priore Wangum

Location: Superdreadnought "Don't mess with me" in orbit over Europe, Earth.

Postby TrashMan » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:56 pm

Starpoint Gemini is a nice little game.

Here are two new ships I made for it:
http://starpointgemini.wikia.com/wiki/Mod_Ships

Note - they are avialable at only 2 stations.
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!
TrashMan

Postby Laurence1211 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:08 pm

Is it me or does starpoint gemini look alot like star trek starfleet command 3. Same engine? Or its just me....
Laurence1211

Postby Anguille » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:23 am

Laurence1211 wrote:Is it me or does starpoint gemini look alot like star trek starfleet command 3. Same engine? Or its just me....

It does look similar but It's a different game done by Little Green Men (Croatians).

NOTE: there's a FREE DLC for the game called "Gladiators"...check Iceberg's interactive page.
Admiral of the Red Fleet

The only Senior Male Tarka to ever reach this rank and an old Zuul slave...aiming for vengeance!
Anguille
Ante Priore Wangum

Location: Superdreadnought "Don't mess with me" in orbit over Europe, Earth.

Next

Return to Misc.