Sword of the Stars II Won't start

Post any bumps you find on the road to galactic domination.

Moderators: Makail, Erinys, ddub

Sword of the Stars II Won't start

Postby Judge » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:05 am

Hey I have a problem with starting Sword of the Stars II. I bought the game on steam. Originally I tried asking them for help. The first fix they had me try did not work and actually created additional problems. The second fix also did not work and then they told me they wouldn't try to help me anymore and that I should try asking for help here. So essentially when I start sword of the stars II I get the box that says "performing first time setup" and the box closes and the game does not start.
Judge

Re: Sword of the Stars II Won't start

Postby Judge » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Is there nobody that can help with this problem? I have already tried asking steam but they were totally unhelpful. I found a thread on the steam forums about this same issue but that guy got no responses and then posted that his game suddenly started working again. I am going to try adding another reply once a mod approves my account there but it doesn't look to hopeful. I bought this game a month ago and have been waiting for months to play it. Please help!
Judge

Postby Dri » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Go into your Steam folder/steamapps/common/Sword of the Stars ii/msvc2010xsp1 and then install those two items there. Should be a x64 and x86 one.

You can also look at Steam folder/steamapps and look for a .ncf file thats named Sword of the Stars and try moving that to your desktop (or just somewhere out of the folder so you can just replace it if it didn't help removing it) and try to reboot the game.
Dri

Postby Nspace » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:40 am

I responded yesterday in you other thread. But I'll repost what I said here:

Welcome to the forums. :)

Three thoughts on the 'first time setup' notice:

1) Have you tried launching the game with the "Prefer 64-bit Process" unchecked? I don't think this is the issue, but it's still worth a try since it is easy.

2) Have you run all of the prerequisites? I assume so, but it is worth mentioning that you do need to run both vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe if you have a 64-bit system. Rerunning the DXSETUP.exe and dotNetFx40_Client_x86_x64.exe won't hurt either.

3) Someone else had a issue where Steam refused to see that the game was installed (found here). He fixed it by renaming Steam's ClientRegistry.blob file (to something like ORG_ClientRegistry.blob), then restarting his computer. When steam starts up again, if the problem is not fixed, start the install, then cancel it after it starts. The install button will become the play button, and steam will acknowledge that the game is installed.

Oh and as far as I know, only a users very first post (or maybe it's the first thread) usually needs to be approved. There was a rash of spam bots a while back, so now a mod checks to make sure first posts aren't spam.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://sots.rorschach.net/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://sots2.rorschach.net/SotS2_Codex
Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Postby Zoladex » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:55 pm

Judge wrote: when I start sword of the stars II I get the box that says "performing first time setup" and the box closes and the game does not start.

Seems like same problem as me. The fix below should sort it. Maybe devs should look at adressing this issue? (though it appears that 64bit changes very little)

Nspace wrote:1) Have you tried launching the game with the "Prefer 64-bit Process" unchecked? I don't think this is the issue, but it's still worth a try since it is easy.
Zoladex

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:20 am

thanks for the reponse! actually it might be the 64 bit thing but when I try to change the launch options in steam it tells me that its for advanced user only. then there is a box that you can type things into and an 'ok' and 'cancel' button' and i dont know what to do.
Judge

Postby Korgan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:12 am

the prefer 64 bit they're talking about is in the launcher for sots2 where you set all the other options like focal blur and bloom.
Korgan

Postby Zoladex » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:08 pm

After running the game on steam u should get this window (i also opened the graphics settings). Mine does nothing when clicking play with 64bit on.
If u dont even get that far, u could try running some of the .exes in the sots II directory. Which should be somewhere like F:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sword of the stars ii.
Go to the bin folder and try the sots.exe icons. (either x64 or x86)

While the pic is up, can i ask what procedural planets ad ambient occlusion does? I though the latter was extra light effects, but i see no difference.
Zoladex

Postby Judge » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:35 am

Zoladex wrote:After running the game on steam u should get this window (i also opened the graphics settings). Mine does nothing when clicking play with 64bit on.
If u dont even get that far, u could try running some of the .exes in the sots II directory. Which should be somewhere like F:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sword of the stars ii.
Go to the bin folder and try the sots.exe icons. (either x64 or x86)

While the pic is up, can i ask what procedural planets ad ambient occlusion does? I though the latter was extra light effects, but i see no difference.

I can't get to this point. The game does not launch at all. And I already tried the other thing you suggested. But thanks anyways.
Judge

Postby Nspace » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:56 am

Really? What is your operating system? And could you please post a dxdiag? If you can't even get to the launcher, then something is really messed up.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://sots.rorschach.net/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://sots2.rorschach.net/SotS2_Codex
Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Postby Judge » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:06 pm

hey sorry for the slow response I have been very busy lately cause my school just started. Anyways hopefully I can still get some help. My operating system is windows 7 ultimate.
Judge

Postby Resok » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:22 pm

Can you check if there are any logs under the following folder?

Start -> Run -> Type the following:

"%localappdata%\Sword of the Stars II\log"

In theory if the game is even attempting to launch you should get something in this folder (and hopefully some clue as to what the issue is).

Alternatively checking in the windows Application logs can give us a clue in some cases.

Of course posting your DXDiag.txt as others have indicated can give us an idea about your hardware setup.
Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Postby lordfrankoo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:11 pm

you must install .net framework 4
lordfrankoo

Postby Judge » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:31 pm

I already installed .net framework 4. although I did get some sort of error while installing it but it still says it installed.

Also I checked the file
%localappdata%\Sword of the Stars II\log
and the file does not exist
Judge

Postby silvaril » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:19 am

Heya

From what was stated in the first post, the game startup crashes at the point of first time setup, which is Steam running the required pre-requisites before starting the actual game executables.

The game is capable of starting from the executables directly, so could you please try running it from under "%Steam%\steamapps\common\sword of the stars ii\" directly.

If that works, then please use the Steam option "Verify integrity of game cache", under the properties for the game.
( right click on the game in Steam, select properties, local files tab )

Once that has completed, please try starting the game again from Steam, and let us know what happens.
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)
silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Location: (Deleted by (Deleted by (Deleted by ***ERROR: Recursion Detected***

Next

Return to Technical Support