Source Doc(s) German

Bringing the text of SotS2 up to date for Russian and German players as well as expanding into other languages.

Moderators: motorbit, kenshiro, Eleahen, castewarkp

Forum rules
While this project lives or dies by the exceptional efforts of poly-lingual fans, there is the potential for debate. The main things to remember is that bad Russian/German is better than nothing at all, so while we respect that there are various and subtle options for certain words and concepts, please keep the debate here (not in the public docs), allow Kerberos and super-user mods to make final rulings, and regardless if your suggestions are used, your input was invaluable and you helped make it happen.
castewarkp
Site Admin

Source Doc(s) German

Post by castewarkp » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:31 am

DE Strings
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... kVTb3JMWXc

Those wishing to help will need to be invited into the document. Until I learn everybody involved, I will be going slow when sending out invites as well as relying on Motorbit and Eleahen to guide me, as they have already been involving themselves in discussion threads.

NoDMoD

Re: Source Doc(s) German

Post by NoDMoD » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:09 am

I will start translating in the next couple of days.

castewarkp
Site Admin

Post by castewarkp » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:33 am

Try and sync up with the guys here who have already translated a lot of the strings independently (I've moved their threads from the main forum to here) The less duplication of work, the better.

CyanStorm

Post by CyanStorm » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:40 pm

I would like access, please.
But when you rush things, accidents can happen. And accidents never have good results for the empire.
- The SotS ][ manual on release problems... er... research accidents.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:41 am

cast, but how does one gain write access? i dont have none, and i dont realy know if anyone has access right now.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:43 am

Last edited by Azrael Ultima on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:46 am

yes - as i understand it, the sync is done already?

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:17 am

The sync, yes, but obviously caste hasn't reenabled access yet.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Ixal

Post by Ixal » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:40 pm

A nice surprise.
Sadly it now gets a bit confusing because there are two documents out there.

My idea is that we use my document to "play around" (everyone has access) while this one here will be the official document where the finalized entries are written into. Or should we copy everything which sounds OK from my document (which I will then close) and continue here?

Also I think we should discuss how to proceed with make up words so that they stay consistent through the document. This can largely be achieved by taking the names from SotS 1 (I didn't look at the translation there when I for example translated Node Drive as I usually play in English).
Some other things which gave me trouble so far are battle riders. We could use the literal translation "Kampfreiter" or "Schlachtreiter" although they sound a bit too much like old fashioned cavalry to me. I also got into trouble with Dreadnoughts and Battleships. Sadly German is rather poor on naval words and there is no real distinction between the two so for now I left "Dreadnought" untranslated.

And sorry for my inactivity after setting up my document but you know holidays and stuff...

castewarkp
Site Admin

Post by castewarkp » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:58 am

Very odd- I sent out an invite to you, Motorbit, last week. I've sent it again - once in, you should be able to add others. Let me know if this doesn't work either (PM me, as I get alerts on PMs, but not on general posts to the boards, so I'll see and respond faster.)

sen

Post by sen » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:26 am

Native speaker here. I did a lot of english to german translations to earn some extra cash when I was a student and I'd like to help with the german localization.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Just head on over to the "Community translation project" further down, sen.

Though Motorbit has been rather absent the last few days, so we can't update the official doc right now.

sen

Post by sen » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Thank you, I'm looking into it.

This is probably a stupid question but where do I get the original document in english? Preferably in the same layout.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:09 pm

It's in your SotS2 folder, /assets/base/locale/en. It's the exact file the game itself gets it's lines from.

sen

Post by sen » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:29 pm

Thank you, both for helping me out again and for indulging my laziness! I had a quick look in the game folder but obviously gave up to soon. Anyway, I'm good to go. Thanks again.

Return to “Localization”