Save Our SOTS2 - A Fan Made Patch

Moderator: Makail

willdieh

Re: Save Our SOTS2 - A Fan Made Patch

Post by willdieh » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:21 pm

Got it to load -- just had to be super patient.... probably because you're on turn 3xx!! I'll see if I can repro. It might be too difficult for me to do though, as load times are realllllly slow on my pc.

I'm curious - how long does a typical turn take on your PC?

EDIT:
Also, make sure you're running the latest version of the SOS Patch... I remember fixing some bug in the design logic recently and, if you're not running the most recent version, maybe that's what's causing the crash...

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:12 pm

In my games, the hiver opponents did fight me with their combat ships every time....

Willdieh, did you find out how to make the AI go into Invasion stance (and not stay in Expansions stance) ?
Iam eager to find out how much it can throw at me :D

cheers

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:29 pm

Well... stances are based on how your opponent perceives you... If you are stronger (more colonies, maybe some other factors, can't remember), and war is declared, they'll go into Defensive mode. This causes them to turtle and reduces the scoring of invasion and strike fleets. Conversely, if you are perceived as a weaker opponent, they will throw strikes and invasions at you.

I've made some weight changes to the defensive and expansion stances to increase the strike missions at least. This should be in the next release and will hopefully make the AI less dorky in defensive mode. I'm still testing it though, as it comes at the cost of building command stations and rebuilding destroyed worlds (things AI should be doing in defensive mode). Without rebuilt command stations, defensive fleets can't even be posted for example.

Haplo_Patryn

Post by Haplo_Patryn » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:36 pm

willdieh wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:21 pm
Got it to load -- just had to be super patient.... probably because you're on turn 3xx!! I'll see if I can repro. It might be too difficult for me to do though, as load times are realllllly slow on my pc.

EDIT:
Also, make sure you're running the latest version of the SOS Patch... I remember fixing some bug in the design logic recently and, if you're not running the most recent version, maybe that's what's causing the crash...
Yes, turns now long around 1m or 45s, more or less. I'm a patient player :)

And, as far as I know, I'm using your last update for my game.

Thanks for your time.

sqw82

Post by sqw82 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:10 am

Haplo_Patryn wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:36 pm
willdieh wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:21 pm

EDIT:
Yes, turns now long around 1m or 45s, more or less. I'm a patient player :)

And, as far as I know, I'm using your last update for my game.

Thanks for your time.
That's my Total Warhammer Mortal Empire turn time. ;p

matveich

Post by matveich » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:32 am

Has anyone seen AI field leviathans yet? I have swapped slots with an AI faction to check what it is doing. Even with almost every tech available and several trillions in bank AI has not built a single LN. I can see LN prototypes in the blueprint section but AI never actually builds them even when floating in cash.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:33 am

Hmm, interesting. I honestly haven't checked! I'll try to look into it

matveich

Post by matveich » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:00 pm

If it is of any use here is the save file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1izJV- ... 47gXm2emDL

You can see that AI factions(I am playing as Loa) get about 30kk income per turn due to savings but don't produce LNs. I would also expect them to be much more aggressive with all that money while hivers occasionally send 2-3 fleets which are easy to deal with.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:06 pm

Well it might be related to another issue I've been looking into with templates and the template fill logic. The fleet templates define mandatory fleet entries such as a command ship, supply ships, etc and often leave the rest of the fleet to a "FILL" option (eg, FILL with COMBAT ships). I found an issue with a Liir game I was looking at where they had moved from CRs to DNs and had some half filled CR fleets lying around that couldn't fill with the new DN ships because of insufficient command points. Thus the AI would keep them half filled and the fleets would never be used.

The same thing might be happening with LVs if the same fleet templates are used. It might be impossible to meet the combat fleet template layout using LV designs because it would cost too many command points. Sigh....

Can you tell if they had built any LVs and maybe they were just sitting in reserve fleets?

matveich

Post by matveich » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:41 pm

I have not seen any. But LV provides command points on its own, so in theory there should be a dedicated template with LV as the fleet CnC, which is then fill with other combat ships. It might be worth checking if LV has a CnC tag associated with it.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:42 pm

In theory, yeah... but no. I haven't seen anything that differentiates LVs from any other class when looking at templates.
The vanilla game did have a "small combat fleet" template that might be useful for LVs (as it has fewer ships in it), but I removed it as I assumed it was just to allow faster fleet building. I'll have to dig into the code and run some simulations.

matveich

Post by matveich » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:50 pm

Thank you. Perhaps explicitly creating fleet templates with LV ship might help.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:55 pm

You cannot. Fleet templates do not have any logic for ship class... only ship role. That's what I was trying to get at...

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:49 pm

willdieh wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:42 pm
In theory, yeah... but no. I haven't seen anything that differentiates LVs from any other class when looking at templates.
The vanilla game did have a "small combat fleet" template that might be useful for LVs (as it has fewer ships in it), but I removed it as I assumed it was just to allow faster fleet building. I'll have to dig into the code and run some simulations.
You may have noticed those "fill fleets" that the Project Hiver fleet template file has. They've got the highest chance of a LV class vessel showing up in them but due to how PH works, the AI doesn't get to that technology very often since they've got early-game goals in mind so they don't get stomped so hard. This said, they worked pre-SoS. I've not seen them field them since, but can't say I've actually forced them to do so. Can do that if need be.

Anywho, a few suggestions if possible:

Ship RoleTypes:

Scout = should be a ship with Deep Scan command section. There is already a BR_SCOUT entry for the BR version, and I've got no clue what the AI considers a scout.

Weapon RoleTypes:

Disabling = Should not consider COL and Minelayer sections as Disabling designs. I've had to disable COL and Mines due to this, again.
Point Defense = Should prioritize Point Defense section and sections with light mounts. Personally, I'd split this into two for a brawling PD weapon and a standoff PD weapon.
Planet Attack = Weapons tagged with Bombardment should get priority, weapons tagged with PlanetKilling should get even more priority.
Energy = Shouldn't get a bonus to Brawler tag, would allow for more weapon variety in AI designs.
Ballistics = Shouldn't get a bonus to Brawler tag, would allow for more weapon variety in AI designs.

I know this probably isn't possible, but is there a chance you could make the factional tech preferences, factional tech style and faction weapon modifier an editable XML file the game reads instead of being locked inside the .DLL? If that's not practical, what would the chance of getting the weaponbias in the faction file to accept other things apart from BAL and EWP? (I assume they don't already since I've never noticed any difference.)

That's quite a bit to ask, I'm aware, but hey... look at how old this game is and the potential it still has. ;p
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver Modder
Creator of the Work-In-Progress Seimei Visual Novel series.
My dream game: Combination of Sword of the Stars 2, Angels Fall First, Conquest: Frontier Wars and Warzone 2100.

willdieh

Post by willdieh » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:46 pm

New release posted.

I've been working to improve the AI's fleet management/defensive logic. This release reduces the savings threshold minimum to 500,000 before AI will build stations. This helps build naval stations at systems so defensive fleets can start to build there. It also helps build commerce stations faster and earlier.

In previous releases, defensive fleets were fixed to their respective systems and could not go on missions (to keep them available for defense). They are now allowed to perform Strike missions. This may leave a system undefended, but the alternative is a possible slow empire death due to lack of admirals. Because defensive fleets use up an admiral just like a regular fleet, if they're stuck at home doing nothing, then that's a big waste. If an empire runs out of admirals, then no more fleets can be built and the empire will just sit there. So hopefully this will help that.

I did run into a Loa crash with the fleet fill logic but I can't seem to reproduce it. Hopefully I can track it down by next release.

Return to “Modding”