SOTS2Loader - SOTS2 Models to OBJ

Moderator: Makail

willdieh

SOTS2Loader - SOTS2 Models to OBJ

Post by willdieh » Wed May 06, 2020 8:33 pm

Hi All,

Been a while. I just wanted to drop by and post something I've been poking at as a pet project for the last couple years. I'll just post the github readme below. There isn't any support for this project and is really only for people with some real interest or technical skill as it's not even really complete. I don't know if I'll be working on it much more, but wanted to put it up here since I actually got something to work. If you get stuck, it's up to you to read the source code and figure it out or maybe even improve it!

https://github.com/willdieh/SOTS2Loader

Converts Sword of the Stars 2 Models and Textures to OBJ files.

SOTS2 has some of the most beautiful models I've even seen. Unfortunately, Kerberos never released their pipeline software for modders to have access to modeling. This program doesn't allow the use of custom models but at least is a step in the right direction in decyphering the proprietary pipeline model format.

I've at least got basic geometry and texture information which can be output to OBJ files and viewed in blender. There's a lot left to do. The native model format contains translation data and (what is probably) animation data that I just haven't finished decodding. As a result the model loads with all components at the 0,0 point rather than translated into their proper places. Also, I'm pretty sure not all the textures are being loaded (SOTS2 has many different types of texture per model).

If you're any good with 3D model formats and think you can add to the data field descriptions, please submit a pull request or contact me!

This project is the result of many years of poking at the native SOTS2 model format while also teaching myself how to write my own OpenGL 3D engine. If it offends anyone at Kerberos or Paradox, just let me know and I'll close this repository.

duckbird

Re: SOTS2Loader - SOTS2 Models to OBJ

Post by duckbird » Mon May 10, 2021 7:02 pm

Heya,

Any progress on this? I would absolutely LOVE to 3d print some Sots ships.

I'm an idiot with computers though and cannot understand your tools.

Have you had any more luck pulling the sots model formats into .obj or .stl?

Thanks!

Return to “Modding”