Desktop image - what's what?

Talk about all things to do with the acclaimed 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

castewar
Kerberos

Desktop images

Post by castewar » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:42 pm

We've posted our first desktop image for you to download, featuring a fraction of possible human ship hull section configurations. Now you too can hear the siren call of the SolForce Navy while you're supposed to be working!

rasorow
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by rasorow » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:53 pm

COOL...

WOW! I can see where Dreads will have a a hard time hitting Destroyers.

Very nice. Now.......

What do they all do? ;-)

Rasorow

castewar
Kerberos

Post by castewar » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:18 pm

Maaaaan. I give you a keen desktop and now you're going to make me work? Maaaaaan.

I'll get back to you with bits here and there, but I'll start with the Dread - that's a point absorber command section (you can see the absorber arrays on the top and bottom sides), with an armada CnC mission section, with a fusion powered, node focussing engine section.

Just so fair's fair, I'm giving a pop quiz ( :twisted: ) - can anybody spot the destroyer colonizer?

Liir-ical Poet

Post by Liir-ical Poet » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:40 am

Oh, teacher, please pick me!! I'm ever so smart and oh so good.

It's the second one up from the bottom left-hand corner, isn't it?

rasorow
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by rasorow » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:42 am

Just to throw a different opinion out....

Second from the top - left side.....

Just looks like it might carry more with that bottom fin.

Plus it balances the nose section in supporting the ship if built to land on the planet.

Rasorow

Peanut Gallery
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Peanut Gallery » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:21 pm

I have to agree with the poet. Rasorow's looks a bit like a spinal mounted gun to me, or at least has a really big gun. Maybe a torpedo or missile...

But yeah, Second from the bottom left up. If I had to give a different opinion I would say top-most destroyer. But that looks a bit like a troopship to me. Also the bottom destroyer, but same troopship thing.

EDIT: Comparing the Destroyer to the Dreadnaught, I find it hard to believe that it is only nine times it's size. So hard.

Now, I am going to daydream about shouting "RAMMING SPEED" at the top of my lungs and crashing my destroyer into a dreadnaught. Then singlehandedly slaughtering the crew.
(\_,/)
(O.o) This is Bunny.
(> <)
Copy Bunny to your signature
to help him achieve world domination

rasorow
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by rasorow » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:46 pm

castewar wrote:Maaaaan. I give you a keen desktop and now you're going to make me work? Maaaaaan.

I'll get back to you with bits here and there, but I'll start with the Dread - that's a point absorber command section (you can see the absorber arrays on the top and bottom sides), with an armada CnC mission section, with a fusion powered, node focussing engine section.

Just so fair's fair, I'm giving a pop quiz ( :twisted: ) - can anybody spot the destroyer colonizer?

BTW Is that the top of the line in Command and Control? What can it control (just looking for an idea of what it brings to the fight)

Rasorow

PirateRob

Post by PirateRob » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:25 pm

Peanut Gallery wrote:...
EDIT: Comparing the Destroyer to the Dreadnaught, I find it hard to believe that it is only nine times it's size. So hard.

Its not 9 times bigger.. its 9 times LONGER.. there is a difference :) If it is also 9 times taller.. and 9 times wider.. then its 9x9x9 =729 times bigger! Think 3D here :) That is to say, you could fit 729 destroyers in the same space you could put 1 DN.

Rpb

castewar
Kerberos

Post by castewar » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:49 pm

Liir-ical Poet wrote:Oh, teacher, please pick me!! I'm ever so smart and oh so good.

It's the second one up from the bottom left-hand corner, isn't it?

Easy there, Hoss. Yer freakin' me out. :P

Yes, you got it, it's the second up, bottom left. Ras, that was a good guess, but that's a minelayer. The fin you're seeing is actually the drop chute for the mines. That's the tricky thing about 2D stills.

If you haven't seen the opening movie, way back when, I wouldn't expect you to know what the Nova Maria looked like, so I'll give you a mulligan on that one.

I know you went with Poet, Peanut - your sake-of-argument second guess is the spinal mount mission section. That whole section is the housing for a heavy weapon.

That's the top-o-the-line CnC section - it's on a Dreadnought after all. Comes with leather interior and bucket seats as well. Depending on your tech, one of those could bring in 20-30 destroyers.

OK, here's the run down of the destroyers, left side, top to bottom;

Hammerhead / Spinal Mount / Fission
AI Command / Minelayer / Fusion
Standard / Squadron CnC / Antimatter
AI Command / Tanker / Fission
Deep Scan / Deflector / Fission
AI Command / Armour / Antimatter
Standard / Point Defence / Focused Node Antimatter
Hammerhead / Shield / Focused Node Fusion
Standard / Wild Weasel / Focused Node Antimatter
Hammerhead / Jammer / Focused Node Fusion
Standard / Colonizer / Focused Node Antimatter
Fire Control / Extended Range / Focused Node Fission

As I said above, about 2D pics, the Hammerhead isn't very hammerheady from the side, but it is, honest. Obviously, that's not all the sections either. There are a few mission sections, like Cloaking and Bio-Missile Hauler, that aren't there.

Thanks Rob! You saved me some typing - that's about the size of it (rim-shot)

rasorow
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by rasorow » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:09 pm

Ahhh Forgot the Nova Maria....

Miss that opening movie ;-) Nice background and story.

Sweet list though... sounds like we can do plenty of damage with those.

Does the Dread have Holographic Tatical Battle displays :D also?

So sounds like battles will field 8*30=240+8=248 ships in a battle max.

Liir-ical Poet

Post by Liir-ical Poet » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:59 pm

Woo-hoo, I got it right! *promptly places gold sticker on forehead*

...I guess all those years of academia have yet to kill the over-achiever in me. Shame, really.

Anyway, all those pretty ships got me so exicted. Would you believe I actually dreamt about them last night? And it's not the first time I've dreamt about games either. Frightening.

LP

ColdSteel
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by ColdSteel » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:17 am

Sweet desktop. :D

I have a question: Does the grayscale background bullseye signify the hunter.. or the hunted?

-coldsteel
"Repensum est Canicula".
"Veni, Vidi, Nates Calce Concidi"

Doubler
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Doubler » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:34 pm

Well, I dropped in a bit late, and I don't really have a question.
But I just wanted to say that that desktop's great, and those ships are incredible! :D

Telkanes
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Telkanes » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:58 am

That Cruiser 2nd under the Dreadnought with what looks like a Refinery on it.....Mobile asteroid miner?

Just a long shot :)

-TElk
And then you will be as unto gods amongst the newbs. -Mecron

PirateRob

Post by PirateRob » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:18 pm

I would guess that the cruiser in question.. the one that looks like it has a refinery on it... is a ...... REFINERY SHIP! Yes, I think thats it :)

Fuel is apparently one of the aspects of supply that needs to be managed in SotS. There are Tanker sections and Refinery sections to provide fuel for ships in the field.

Rob

Return to “SotS”